You might think that “black beans” and “brownies” do not belong together in the same recipe, but I am here to tell you that for a fudgy, vegan and gluten free alternative to brownies – these are certainly the way to go. Easy to whip up quickly, they will become your favourite dessert for a last minute surprise!
Back in my college days, our apartment was always a place to come and eat and have fun. Both of those were fulfilled by this easy recipe. There is nothing more to say about it except that it is as simple as blending all of the ingredients together and then baking. Done and delicious.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 tin black beans (or aduki beans)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 40g oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75 mL agave, date, or maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100-125g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor (or blender) except for the dark chocolate chunks. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks and pour the mixture into a greased pan – I used my springform which is about 8″ and it gave a nice sized slice but for thicker brownies you can use a slightly smaller pan. An 8×8 pan is definitely recommended. Sprinkle some more chocolate chunks over the top (add more to your liking!).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting in. They might look a bit underbaked, if that is the case and you are really worried about them firming up just let them sit in a cool spot for a while longer or pop them into the fridge and enjoy!